Vegan Pesto Spaghetti Pie
with the adaptions of Hot for Food’s recipe
4 to 6 servings
Need a 9” spring form pan
Vegan Parmesan ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
Vegan Pesto ingredients:
3/4 cup vegan parmesan
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Spaghetti Pie ingredients:
1 lb spaghetti – I use gluten-free. I like ‘Jovial’ brown rice pasta product.
3 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil.
1 package vegan mozzarella cheese, either shredded or cut into small pieces (optional)
1 jar of marinara sauce (optional)
- In a food processor combine the vegan parmesan ingredients together on high until it’s a fine crumb/meal and looks like parmesan cheese.
- Remove the parmesan into a dish. Add 3/4 cup of the parmesan back into the food processor along with the remaining pesto ingredients and process until mostly smooth, but there will be some visible texture to the pesto.
- Preheat oven to 450’.
- Use 1 tablespoon of vegan butter or olive oil to coat a 9” spring form pan. Once coated dust it with some of the remaining parmesan, leaving some for the topping as well, and then set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook spaghetti to al dente. Drain the pasta from the cooking water but do not rinse.
- Add the pasta back into the empty pot with all the pesto and remaining vegan butter or olive oil and toss until evenly coated.
- Add all the sauced spaghetti into the spring form pan and press into an even layer, very compact!
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and crispy and have slightly pulled away from the edge of the pan.
- Gently remove the sides of the spring form pan once out of the oven, slice and serve immediately.
– If you want it saucier, warm up some marinara sauce to server over top.
– Adding vegan mozzarella cheese shreds into the pesto spaghetti or add the small pieces on the top at step 6.
THICK AND CHUNKY VEGETABLE SOUP
adapted from the recipe of Simply Sissom
• 1 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 sweet onion, diced
• 3 medium carrots
• 1 red bell pepper
• 2 cups of potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 zucchini, chopped into half moons
• 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
• 1 TBS of my vegetable soup spice blend (Recipe below)
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 4 cups of baby spinach
• 1 can of black beans, rinsed
• 4 cups of vegetable broth
1 In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
2 Add carrots, bell pepper, potatoes, zucchini, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and vegetable soup spice blend. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
3 Allow soup to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach and beans.
Homemade 10-Spice Mix (Adapted from Oh She Glows 10 Spice Blend)
Notes: Do not pour the whole spice into the soup! Just add according to the recipe and store the rest.
• 1/2 TBS of smoked paprika
• 1 TBS garlic powder
• 1 TBS dried oregano
• 1/2 TBS onion powder
• 1 TBS dried basil
• 1 tsp. thyme
• 1/2 tsp ground pepper
• Sprinkle fine-grain sea salt
Powerful Kale Salad
4 cups of chopped kale
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1 cucumber, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 1/4 cup chopped grape tomatoes
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup hemp seed or sunflower seeds
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
2 tbsp and 2 teaspoons of tahini (sesame seed butter)
2 tbsp of lemon juice
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 and 1/2 tbsp of water
1 small pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
1 or 2 tbsp of maple syrup
Place the tahini in a small bowl. Add lemon juice and mix it throughly. Add olive oil, salt, pepper and water. Mix it.
Assemble the salad:
Place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Add dressing and be sure to mix it thoroughly.